Visa Application

Visa Application

Ancuc is ready to offer advices and facilitations in your visa application. If you need any help, please feel free to contact your Ancuc consultant.

The following is a general introduction about Student Visa to China.



Student Visa is divided into 2 kinds, namely X1 and X2. X1 is issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies, or fieldwork for more than 6 months. X2 is issued to aliens who come to China with same purpose but for a period of less than 6 months.


JW Forms

Students who want to apply for X visa need to get the JW form (visa application form) from institutions accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners. They will issue a JW201 or JW202 form and an admission letter. JW 201 for Chinese Government Scholarship students, and JW202 for self-fincanced students.


Work Permission

You are not permitted to work on the X type visa. But part-time work and internships off campus may be authorized in near future. You should contact your university or employer after you have settled in to see what can be arranged. For foreign students who work in violation of the regulations on the administration of foreign students working to support their study in China and work beyond the prescribed scope of jobs or prescribed time limit, they shall be deemed unlawful employment and will probably have to stop or be expelled.


Residence Permit

X1 holders shall apply for a Temporary Residence Permit from the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 30 days upon entry into China. The temporary residence permit can be issued with validity of 180 days to 5 years. X2 holders shall stay in China within the duration period as indicated on the visa, and it is not necessary for them to apply for the temporary residence permit.


Required Documents

1. Passport;

2. Application form;

3. Recent photo;

4. Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202);

5. Original and a copy of Admission Notice from the university or Chinese school.


How to Apply

1. You may submit the application to the consular office of the Chinese Embassies or Consulates in person.

2. Or you can entrust someone else (e.g. friends, relatives), a travel agency or a visa agency to act on your behalf if you can't come personally.

3. Appointment is not required by most embassies and consulates. But if you are required to submit application to CVASC, you may need to make an online appointment via CVASC's website.


Processing Time

The regular processing time is 4 working days. If you want to collect your visa earlier, the express service and rush service are available.


Visa Fees

The fee for X is same to the fee for other types of Chinese visa. Generally speaking, Chinese embassies or consulates only issue single entry X to foreigners.